9.05.2009

Friday Night Links: Saturday Edition

Thanks to a recent revisit to Hipster Runoff I came across some rather distressing news. No, Animal Collective hasn't broken up, but Ikea has changed their catalog font from time honored Futura to Veranda. Idsgn has the scoop. There's a tremendous backlash within the fontography community but as Ikea spokeswoman Camilla Meiby said in an interview with AP, "We're surprised, but I think it's mainly experts who have expressed their views, people who are interested in fonts. I don't think the broad public is that interested." Well that may be true, but it doesn't make it any less outrageous. OUTRAGEOUS, I say! For those of you who aren't hip to the differences between Futura and Veranda, the link posted above has a handy side by side comparison.

Overall, I think Futura is a cleaner Sans Serif font when compared to Veranda. And, as one commenter noted, using Veranda make the ads looks like they could have been printed by anyone with a computer, while Futura held a distinctiveness that was associated with Ikea. Idsgn also has a primer on Futura for those looking for a little something extra. Need even more typographical knowledge? Head on over to Typophile that, among other things, has a story about a woman getting fired for sending emails in CAPITAL LETTERS. Outrageous, I say. OUTRAGEOUS!

In other less exciting and more disgusting news, I came across a couple videos on YouTube that have made me question what it is to be human. The first is a video for something called the Neti Pot. Perhaps you've heard of it. If not, here is the video:



If that weren't enough I also found a hilarious video of a zit getting squeezed. Is it wrong that I am entertained by this late into the night?



For the music lovers out there, and you know who you are, the cover for the Monsters of Folk album has been been released and can be seen here. A band with M. Ward and Conor Oberst? Could it be true? Yes, yes it is. Try not to wet yourself. The records hits stores Sept. 22.

Lastly, a random endorsement for an author I've never read. Tao Lin.

No comments: